II recently took a trip of a lifetime to the Middle East to visit my brother, Jason. My mom, Marlane, and I left Dulles Airport around midnight, had a lay over in Morocco, and arrived in Beirut, Lebanon around 9:30pm. Jason, and his wife Maggie live and work in Beirut helping to manage an organization called Animals Lebanon- http://www.animalslebanon.org/
By far, Osprey's Porter 46 was the perfect pack for my trip! Even after attaching Osprey's 13 liter Daylite pack to it I was able to avoid checking any luggage at all. The Porter then stayed put at the hotel and the Daylite was my excursion pack- whether visiting the ancient ruins of Baalbek, the farmer's market in Beirut, hiking on the Lebanon Mountain Trail, and much more.
Some of the other gear that worked well included-
• Oboz Campster shoes which worked well for going thru the airport as well as walking on the beach at the Mediterranean Sea
• Sea to Summit's Travel Wallet, RFID Passport Pouch, and Combo Lock- which gave me a simple, safe, and discreet way to stash my money and passport
• Suncloud Sunglasses-polarized eye protection
• Mountain Hardwear's Canyon Long Sleeve Shirt was quick dry, packed well, zipper pockets, and easy to wear sleeves up or down
• Patagonia's Quandary Pant was also quick dry, packed well, and had zipper pockets which are especially perfect when traveling
• LEGO man, although not sold at Walkabout Outfitter, was a fun way to stay connected to my five year old son!
• Also WhatsApp was the perfect way to communicate when overseas- I was able to text, call, and video call my wife, Lori, with ease and no extra charges