The Happy Camper's Backpacking Essentials List
Whether you're gearing up for your first trip or a seasoned backpacker, we've got your checklist covered.
Bring this list into any of our stores and we'll be happy to make sure you're all set for your next adventure!
- A positive attitude ready to take on the amazing adventure and challenges you may encounter
- A rough itinerary of the trip and a copy of it left with someone at “home”
- Appropriate & extra clothing – Quick dry/wicking fabrics, proper layering per season, tops & bottoms
- Hiking shoes/boots that fit properly, quick dry/wicking socks (optional sock liner to prevent blisters), lightweight camp sandals/shoes, and trekking poles
- Waterproof raingear for you & your backpack/gear
- Properly fitting backpack with adequate carrying capacity
- Water bladder or bottles and water purification & a backup purification method
- First Aid Kit & Safety – Suggestions: alcohol pads, antibacterial ointment, band-aids, Benadryl, epi-pen, butterfly closures, gauze pads & roll, gloves, Ibuprofen, iodine, medical tape, moleskin, rescue mask, safety pins, shears, sterile water, syringe, tweezers & nail clippers, emergency blanket, whistle, any personal medication, and an understanding of the basics of first aid
- Sun protection- brim hat, or head coverage, sunscreen, sunglasses & Bug repellent
- Shelter- Tent, hammock with fly, bivy, trail shelter/hut
- Sleeping bag & sleeping pad
- Waterproof matches/fire starter
- Map, compass, guidebook, & basic navigation knowledge
- Enough food/snacks for your trip & extra- more calories are needed for more energy burning
- Stove, fuel, and mess kit including knife and eating utensil
- Toiletries: Trowel, TP, chap stick, toothbrush & paste, personal hygiene products, biodegradable liquids
- Headlamp with extra batteries- hands free lighting
- Rope or Nylon cord- safety, bear bags, shelter, comes in handy in several situations
- Nice to Haves: Bandanas, journal & pencil, quick drying towel, camera, solar charger, charging cords, hacky sack, Frisbee, cards, trail game, etc.